I SEEK NEW WORLDS

I SEEK NEW WORLDS-
COME FOR THE RIDE































September 25, 2012

It starts with a small step

My heart is still pounding. Its ridiculous because so far the only action I have taken is a few clicks and ticks on a web-page. Anyway, I'll start from what I guess is the beginning. 

A handful of years ago my young-and-itiching-for-any-excuse-to-explore-the-world-self decided that I wanted to 'grow in a different way' and the perfect solution for that was to do something I would NEVER do- a reliable formula I thought. I started to make a list of things I hate: 1) being cold.

I can't remember what number two was because I stopped the list there, reviewed number one and decided to go and live in the snow. Having never seen snow in my life and having no career aspirations I moved to Canada to trial a season at a ski resort.

As I made my way north and started to get cold I thought surely I would only last a month. 18 months and many great lessons in life, business and skiing later I discovered that for-filling the challenge of doing something you would never do; growing, changing and embracing your potential, while effective is not a sustainable formula for growth. 

Because now I know there is nothing that I would never do. OK, time for new formula: Do something I truly don't believe I can do. A test of the mind and sprit and other good things. 

I have long envied those running types. People who can go out for 'an easy 10'. So after some thought, which is often: throw a bunch of ideas out there and think about each of their possibilities until I quit searching for a good alternative and go back to what I always knew was the right decision- the first thing I thought of when I questioned: "what do I hate" or "what do I believe I can't do" I decided that I would run a marathon (or learn a lot about myself in the attempt). Ridiculous right? It gets better. 

I have some great role models for running a marathon, friends who are very relatable that have done this but it was actually 3 not very special events that inspired me into action* (*action so far being deciding to do it) 

Last year the NYC Marathon route was half a block from my apartment. It was great. We slept late, had brunch and when we saw on TV that the first runners were coming around the top of Central Park we went outside to watch. I decided that I would only ever run one marathon and it would lead me to explore this city that I love, New York City. (see photo of my first unofficial marathon steps from that day below) 

Buying sneakers with my awesome 80-something year old friend in January the guy in the running store told me that if you are a New York Road Runners member and complete 9 qualifying runs and volunteer at one in a calendar year then you are given entry to the following year's NYC Marathon. Perfect. Unfortunately I missed the 2012 cut off date so I wouldn't be running the marathon until 2014. No problems, more time to put my feet up :) 

That brings us to this heart pounding moment. Well last night actually.

2012 has been a horrible year. 2 key role models and my dog passed away at the beginning of the year, work has been consistently unstable and it was really true that  after four year I had stopped traveling. I felt like the things that gave me hope had been stripped away and I was struggling to cope with the pressures of a hard year. With support and encouragement from a couple of good friends I am picking myself back up and actively being healthier. Part of that is accepting each time someone suggests we go to yoga. I don't often want to go to yoga less than I did last night but I wanted to accept the offer in order to keep my momentum and avoid validating the excuse 'I don't feel like it.' In my post yoga glow (I felt much more like doing yoga after the hour long class) I spotted a t-shirt that had a Disney picture on it and said 'half marathon.' I was perplexed, those things don't go together,  so I said "Excuse me" to a group of 10 strangers and the intended recipient turned around- don't you love those moments? "Did you really run a half marathon at Disney World?" 

Our brief conversation covered:
"Yes I did."
"It was amazing."
"You should totally do it" and the thing that really got me:
"All the characters came out to wave and cheer you on."

Well that changes everything! Disney Characters acting as my public cheer squad? That sounds SO much better than a regular race! What could beat that? I want in! 

By the time I got home from the studio I had decided I wanted to do it. 12 hours later and I have plugged in my credit card details and signed up (ouch). More than just finding within myself what it takes to do such a thing I will have to find money for flights, accommodation and all the other little things that will add up. I'm pretty clueless about these things so here is hoping that 5 months is long enough for me to get in shape to run 21kms/ 13mi, I guess I'll find out. 

I have this strange feeling right now. I got it when I decided I was going to live in the Canada for a winter and I knew I didn't know what to expect. I think its the love child of excitement and knowing I don't know what I have got myself into with a twist of through this I will be on the verge of something great. Living in Canada turned out really well- so heres hoping! 

Who wants to join me? Check it out here, do it now as it will sell out. 












No comments:

Post a Comment