I SEEK NEW WORLDS

I SEEK NEW WORLDS-
COME FOR THE RIDE































April 16, 2011

Dear Canada, Much Appreciated :)

Dear Canada,

Thank you, it’s been lovely.

Looking back I’m surprised how little I knew about you a year and a half ago when I came to play.
I knew your flag looked like this 
and that you are part of the commonwealth.  I had heard the people were really friendly and mostly spoke English but some spoke French. I knew that even though I could drive there from The United States of America you are a completely different country.

In the time that you have been my home I have learnt that Ginger Ale is really good at making my tummy feel good when it doesn’t, that the winter Olympics are real Olympics and not just a token get-together for those far away (from Australia) countries that have snow. I have also learnt that if I cross paths with a bear I should remember this rhyme: if its brown lay down, if its black fight back. No offence, but I think I will trade fighting back with running back.

I have had some of the best times of my life here and met some of the greatest people. A lot of those people are Australian too but the Canadians that warmly welcomed me into their lives, homes and hearts have remained with me; celebrating and consoling due parts of my adventure and always pushing forward with me. I have no doubt that they are genuine life long friends- no matter the difference in our ages.

I’ll remember forever the first time I saw snow flakes the size of 5c pieces, heard the roar of an avalanche and stepped into a forest that instantly felt as good as my favourite place in the world- MY beach back home.

I was blessed by your champagne powder snow, and the striking colours of the sun as it rose over a mountain range that stood like an army of giants guarding the horizon. I have made memories worth more than gold with some friends from home- because you welcomed them too and your stunning curves facilitated our adventures nicely.  
  

 I didn’t tick all the boxes on my bucket list… because I look forward to coming back (and I couldn’t afford to on what you pay) but I did do some things that I never imagined: I became a skier, lived an entire winter never seeing rain, stepped outside at –17 degrees C and thought “its not that cold out here”, but I also lost feeling in my hands and feet more than once while playing in my ‘back yard’.  

I lived a life better than I had every imagined for myself and worked a fantastic job.

 
While I had some hard times I know no place is immune to hassle and heartbreak and I was always glad I was living and learning real life here with you; and the gems of people that you brought into my life.

Thanks for sustaining me fair Canada. You are beautiful.

Looking forward, my next adventure is about to land me in a country that I know even less about that I did Canada when I arrived.

I’m pretty sure that they don’t have Tim HortonsPoutine and wont understand when I say “oh for sure eh” but the adventure only moves forward. I left my heart on the dance floor on a little ski hill for you to remember me by :) Love Dallas. 

This is my iconic Canada photo. Taken just out side Banff on my Rockies road-trip April 2010
 

No comments:

Post a Comment