I SEEK NEW WORLDS

I SEEK NEW WORLDS-
COME FOR THE RIDE































April 21, 2011

Portland Oregon

There is a lot of buzz around Portland Oregon at the moment and as I was going to be in the state I didn't want to miss out due to lack of trying. I could only squeeze one day out of my itenary but here is what I discovered. 

Portland. Lovely. 

Portland has neighborhoods (which I love) and makes fantasticly big shaddows in the morning sun. Walking, working, riding or driving the people smile at you-espically if you are smiling to. Even the rain was nice. Big drops that did their duty, not bothering anyone and left as soon as they were done for the sun to come back out :) 

I never expected to know the real Portland in a day but I wanted to taste its essence. Flying solo in a new town I didn't really know what to do. So I decided to see MY Portland; to do the things that I wanted to do and see what I discover. I was stoked to hear about Powell's Books - the worlds largest independent book store when I asked for advice on Portland-esq activities. I like books so surely spending time in in a shop that boasts such a title was a legitimate way to spend my only day in the city. As I wondered the rows of towering books on the various floors I realized that while I had come to Portland in search of glimpsing its essence, part of the real Portland had come to me in the people that browsed Powell's with me. 
They were cool, relaxed, stylish in a way that showed they valued creative and fine things. They were unimposing but there was an openness. 
And that's what I think of Portland. 

That night I met some brilliant people in the hostel. The last few months have been stressful for me but after just a conversation with them I felt refreshed and I think the kind of people a place attracts and holds is a good insight into its character. 

It was lovely to meet you Portland- I'll catch you sooner than later I hope. 

I stayed at the HI Portland northwest . It was clean and the bathrooms and staff were lovely. It is in a good neighborhood and only a $5 cab ride from the Amtrak and Greyhound stations or a 15 minute walk. 

There are a few street cars/ trams/ trollies that cover an extensive free zone but I saw a lot of the city on foot without feeling like I had walked too far. 

Mission Theater plays current movies for $3! It's a beautiful old building, with friendly and funky staff and has a pub attached so you can eat and drink deliciousness while you enjoy the show! Its also just a few minutes walk from the HI 

One of my favorite things about Portland is that in the NW their avenues are numerated (which is common and really helpful to know where you are and how far your next stop is) but their streets are alphabetized too!  It makes reading a map and feeling like a local instantly so much easier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment