I SEEK NEW WORLDS

I SEEK NEW WORLDS-
COME FOR THE RIDE































October 24, 2010

Flaunt It!

As I watched live the rescue of the trapped Chilean miners my mind flicked back to August 5th when they became trapped to see if it was a standout day in my life. Straight away I could pin point that day and my mind raced forward thinking of all that I had done, seen and experienced from that day to this. It was instantly clear that I could never calculate the true value of the life I had lived in those couple of months. In the 69 days that the men were trapped ....meters underground, among many other things, I had spent a month working with a circus in Edinburgh, seen the sights of London, Paris, Shanghai and Melbourne and flown on a trapeze. I had hugged my loved ones, played with my dogs and was presently surprised to bump into old friends.
 When talking about it with my friend Alex it was elements of my daily life that I do just because I can; go for a run or soak in some sunshine etc that weighed heaviest on my mind. I do these things often and I do them just because I can, sometimes in the case of going for a run- I do them begrudgingly. As a white woman I put in considerable effort recognise and appreciate things that I could easily take for granted. I have learnt to value every exchange with my loved ones and the following cliché’s and that I can follow and achieve goals that I set for myself. Alex joked that I was ‘Flaunting It’ by going for a run when the miners couldn’t- in the moment I didn’t even want to be doing it. So it got me thinking about all the things that I do flaunt- travel, just because I can. Calling my friends, just because I can. Reading, just because I can. I soon realised that the bank of things that I could potentially flaunt is HUGE and my imagination ran wild about all the things I could do and share and become if only I flaunted what I had on offer to me a little more.

All of this is a nice idea of course but I often struggle with the motivation to do good things for myself. My beautiful friend Zoë (master world explorer) recently returned to Australia with a spinal cord injury leaving her paralysed from the waist down. I have no doubt that Zoë along with her friends and family will be flaunting all that she has in order to get the strength and mobility she seeks. And I have the same capacity to flaunt what I have and grow...so I figure I should.
I think that I am going to look in to creating an International Flaunt It Day.
International Flaunt It Day- Flaunt what you are blessed with.
Or International Flaunt It Day- do good things just because you can.
I’ll get back to you when I find a date...
Till then I will be working on appreciating all that I do have and flaunting it...for the best of course J
P.S Dear Zoe sending you love every day and will now add to that a thank you for your motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment