I SEEK NEW WORLDS

I SEEK NEW WORLDS-
COME FOR THE RIDE































October 12, 2010

Love for the Ones You Miss

Last Thursday night I was at a pub celebrating a dear friend’s birthday when Katie walked in, handed me a small stack of colored scrap paper with messages scribbled on them and bull dog clipped together and turned to leave. The front page simply said "Some reminders that home always loves and misses you love Katie xxx"

It was a strange line to read in Australia. I am yet to feel ‘home’-that peacefully sense of belonging that I have discovered through my travels, in my homeland.

Sometime in the last year and a half, during my most recent time overseas my former work place, The Reach Foundation (http://www.reach.org.au/),  had run a session on ‘Love for the ones you miss’- a simple concept that produced magic. Reach is a rapidly evolving culture of cool and I reside myself to the thought that I fade to a memory when I am away. But in my hand was gold for my sole; an insight into the long-lasting impact that I had made unknowingly.

A message, memory or some love on a scrap of paper, written I don’t know how long before it made it to me instantly became a highlight of my travels even though at the time I was back in Australia and comfortably nestled back within my friendship group.

That was Thursday night and by the end I of the weekend I had discovered that there are a few of my friends that need some love and support that I couldn’t have imagined. And I was reminded that sharing with someone what they mean to you never goes unneeded.  And you will probably never know the great and lasting impact that you really make.

No comments:

Post a Comment