I SEEK NEW WORLDS

I SEEK NEW WORLDS-
COME FOR THE RIDE































March 8, 2011

International Women's Day

This is my favorite photo of my Nana and I

Today, March 8th is International Women's Day. For the past 100 or so years March 8 has internationally been recognized as the day to celebrate, appreciate and see women in all their capabilities, challenges and individualities. A day of solidarity, bonding, expression and action. In the fast paced world so many of us live in it is interesting to look back at the pursuits and progress of women over the past century (you can do it at www.internationalwomensday.com.)

Closer to home we each have 100+ years of family history. For some of us we are carrying the torch lit by the women who came before and for others it is us who are igniting a torch to light the way. 

I grew up almost entirely surrounded by women so since the very beginning who I am has been mostly shaped by the women in my life. I am blessed to have so many women to appreciate and celebrate but here is one of my absolute favorites- my Nana. 

She was the woman who taught me that I am ok- in just being who I am; I forgot as an angst-ridden teenager but what a blessing it was to come back to.
She is the reason I will recognize unconditional love when I see it again. 
She is the one person who brings me to tears, nearly every time, because I can’t help but think how wonderful she was.
Because of her I look forward to the magical life I can live when I am old. And if I can have that much fun when I am old I better have at least that much fun now I figure!
She leaves me speechless but with a calming feeling that is complete and needs no words. 

Maybe you have this person or maybe you are that person. If neither spring to mind keep searching. We are all capable of being and having this- my Nana wasn't a super hero, she was just my Nana. 

Mark International Women's Day in your calendar for next year; give yourself 2 weeks notice so you can enjoy celebrating a woman that has made a positive impact in your world- she deserves to know she is doing a good job.
"Inspiring others towards happiness brings you happiness" -Buddha

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY




No comments:

Post a Comment